Radiant Dreamscapes
Radiant Dreamscapes

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

At Lunch!

Lunch? Who has time to take a break in the middle of the day? People who slurp instant soup between emails at their desks and occasionally step out at lunch, snicker at "lunchers" as being unproductive. For lunch, of course, is something to do while doing something else.

I walked into a park in the middle of this great and truly busy city, I was surprised to see so many people. Didn't they have jobs? The sound of the traffic was replaced with chirping birds, scattered cell phone chats and musicians playing soft jazz on some bench. The acoustics were interstng.

Lunchtime is also a great opportunity to catch up on errands, for others it's a time to catch up on sleep. Located inside the Empire State Building is MetroNaps, where for $14 you can escape the city that never sleeps and take a 20-minute nap inside a "globular plastic cocoon filled with ambient sounds" like reverberating waves combined with lights and vibration.

Some companies now offer in house Yoga classes for their employees. Just like school, when not only did we get a recess, but we needed one. After burning off steam on the monkey bars, we'd return to class ready to learn. Have we grown out of those needs? Taking a lunch, I've now learned, cuts down on those afternoon yawns and makes you more productive.

At Lunchisfun.com people write in how they spent their lunch break. Skimming through entries, I found an an interesting one which read, "Reheated pizza from a few nights ago and coke while I finalize travel arrangements for my boss. Going to take a walk later, which will upgrade the lunch experience with a sunshine dessert." Hmm, had I passed this person in the park?

Just as I was about to take off my shoes and join a Frisbee game, I checked my watch - time to return to work. I wasn't disappointed. It was only Wednesday which meant I had two more recesses that week, only next time, I decided to leave my watch on my desk.


Posted by Dewdrop :: 6:54 PM :: 2 Scribbles!

Scribble your mind!

---------------------------------------